Putting so much strain on the tendons of the forearm can cause tennis elbow. In the early stage, it can be treated at home with some rest, medication and exercises.
Some specific exercises help strengthen muscles and prevent from flare up the tennis elbow.
Exercises also help to ease down the pain of tennis elbow. But there are things you need to keep in mind before doing these exercises:
- Consult your doctor and physiotherapist.
- There is not an inflammation.
- If it increases pain, stop doing the particular exercise.
- Need to know the proper technique and posture to do.
- Stress can expand symptoms.
Exercises for Tennis Elbow
The following exercises can help retrain tennis elbow:
Twist your wrist: Expand your hand with palm facing the up direction. Now start twisting your wrist in the circular. Repeat this exercise for 10 times.
Turn your wrist with weight: do the same twisting with holding some weight in the hands. You can do it with lightweight dumbbells. Redo this exercise 10 times.
Bend your elbow: Stand straight with straight hands towards down. Now start bending your elbow up to the shoulders. Hold for 5 seconds and repeat this for 10 times.
Wrist lifting: Expand your hands outwards and hold some weight in hands. Start bending your elbow at a right angle towards the body.
Stretch wrist: Raise your arm straight out and start bending down your wrist. Give some stretch toward backward with the other hand. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds. Straighten your hand again and repeat this for 3 times with each hand.
Wrist extensors bend: Raise your arm straight out and start bending upwards your wrist. Give some stretch towards the body with the other hand. Hold for 15 to 30 seconds. Straighten your hand again and repeat this for 3 times with each hand.
Squeezing the fist: Grip a ball in the palm and start squeezing it with the fingers to form a fist. Hold this for 10 seconds and redo it for 10 times.
Twisting the towel: Hold each end of the towel in each hand. Start twisting the towel by moving the hand in the opposite direction as squeezing out the water from a towel. Repeat these 10 times.
You should keep in mind:
- Do not put instant pressure.
- Do not be in a hurry while doing exercise.
- Be gentle while doing exercise.
- Keep increasing the time of exercise.
- If any exercise causes pain then to resume that particular exercise.
How lifestyle can help:
Although these exercises will help you to get relief from the pain, you should also take preventions so that it would not flare up again. You need to do some changes in your lifestyle like:
- Do not skip exercises.
- Try to improve your body posture.
- Improve your range of motion.
- Take breaks from work or long sitting or standing positions.
- Live stress-free life
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Don’t put strain while lifting things.
Although all these things can reduce the pain of tennis elbow, you may need to consult the specialist for further treatment.