In the age of Electronic, we all are thinking about paperless work. But is this really possible to live without our important product? As news paper, wrapping paper, notebooks for study, money paper, vouchers, cheque etc. are essential products for us. But it will take a long way to be paperless for.
Being a most important product for us, it has been wasted a lot for years. From a simple bus, railway and airlines ticket to banners (company, institutions, political party), every place it is being wasted. In a current scenario, we can see the political election or any other institutional election.
Every political party use to spend a lot of money on banners, flyers or pamphlets. These are being distributed to each person in the nearby location. To which no one even take a look and being thrown on the land. We even cannot able to see the any left space on the roads without these pamphlets and the entire wall near the road are also filled with banners which are not useful after election.
It’s not only wasting the papers but it is also destroying the beauty of any country. At the time of its invention, it was a precious thing to us. It was being invented for communication. But now, it has filled the whole world. Each and every work is dependent on paper.
To create paper, it takes twice the energy of creating a plastic bag. The procedure to create paper also involves cutting down the trees which is the only source for us to breath. 42% of all global wood harvest is used to make paper. Is it really worth it to cut down our life saving trees for this product?
Facts about Paper and Paper Waste
- In every second, 199 tons of paper has already been produced.
- 324 liters of water is used to make 1 kilogram of paper.
- 10 liters of water is needed to make one piece of A4 paper.
- 50% of the wastage of paper is from our businesses. In offices, we use 12.1 trillion sheets of paper in a year.
- To print a Sunday edition It needs 75,000 trees to be cut down.
- On recycling 1 ton of paper saves 682.5 gallons of oil, 26,500 liters of water and 17 trees.
- From packaging paper 1/3 or more of our trash is increased.
- Every tree produces enough oxygen for 3 people to breathe.
Easy Ways to Reduce Paper Waste and Pollution
What can we do from our end to reduce paper pollution and waste?
- We can recycle from all paper waste. We can buy recycled paper materials.
- In the office, paper can be reused. If we have only used one side for example, collect them instead of throwing them away. We can bind these sheets and make a notebook using the other side.
- We should not print the paper until it is necessary.
- Use email instead of paper when communicating with clients and customers. Take advantage of the latest technologies like tablets, computers and smart phones to keep your files and notes.
- For any announcement, notice or list in the office, we can use white board instead of paper notices.
- Reduce the use of paper cups and disposable paper plates.
- At home, we can also use cloth Napkins.
Can we think now, why we should think before the use of paper?
For me, it’s a very expensive which is made up of our life saver thing called tree.
Or, Can we design any other thing which can produce Oxygen, food, water, fuel and which is the only reason of season changes?
Source : http://www.theworldcounts.com/stories/Paper-Waste-Facts